Welcome to the School of Journalism at The University of Montana!
Here at the J-School, we believe students learn by doing. Our students get out of the classroom and into the real world – here in Missoula, around the state and beyond. They:
- Report on stories ranging from hard news to features
- Travel to towns around the West for photo and video shoots
- Produce award-winning television, online, radio, print and photo stories and documentaries
- Cover Native American issues, sports, politics, the environment
- Host and produce radio programs
Students have a choice when they study journalism at UM. They can be generalists in the changing world of journalism, or they can specialize. Clear writing and storytelling are at the center of what we do. Our graduates have successful careers in journalism and all kinds of other fields, because they communicate clearly, meet deadlines, and embrace technology.
The mission of The University of Montana School of Journalism:
- To teach students to think critically, act ethically, and communicate effectively;
- To help them understand the challenges and changes in the news media; and
- To inspire them to use their talents to improve journalism and enhance a diverse and democratic society.