Aug. 17, 2020
We know the start of fall semester will look and feel different than we all expected but there is still so much to look forward to. In all of our work though, your health and safety should always come first.
So, as we get started, please remember to tune into the main UM page for all coronavirus information and make sure you are taking all precautions and following the guidelines to keep yourself and our community safe.
Also, we have some specific School of Journalism guidance on how we can all do our part to stay safe in our building, Don Anderson Hall.
Here are the basics:
Don Anderson Hall
- Don’t come inside if you’re not feeling well
- Don’t come inside until just before your class is to begin
- Enter through West doors (front doors) only
- Mask up before entry and stay masked when in the building
- West stairwell is for going up only
- East stairwell is for going down only
- Stay right in the hallways
- Two people to a bathroom only
- One person in the elevator at a time (please don’t use the elevator unless you need it)
- Wipe down your classroom space when you enter
- Sit in the same place in your classroom each meeting
- Wipe down your classroom space as you leave
- Don’t linger in the classrooms or in the hallways
- Don’t bunch up before or after class
- Maintain social distance always
- No eating or drinking in the building
If you are not comfortable/cannot wear a face covering, talk to your professors about remote options. You will not be allowed in Anderson Hall without a mask. Please be considerate of your classmates, your professors and your staff. Maintain healthy practices when you are not on campus to avoid exposing others to COVID-19.
If you're in reporting class, you'll also get some additional guidance on how to stay safe reporting. Check in with your professors about that. Also be on the lookout in your classes for other guidance and information on safety measures.
UM President Seth Bodnar has announced that the university is planning for an in-person fall semester but with new start and end dates.
Campus is taking the advice of the Commissioner of Higher Education in ending the semester before the holiday break.
We are scheduled to begin on Wednesday, August 19th and end the semester on Wednesday, November 25th.
The change leaves many unanswered questions at the moment, including protocol for moving into campus housing, exam schedules, etc. As campus and the J-School work through these issues, I want you to know we at the J-School are moving forward with you in mind. We will re-schedule our courses for maximum flexibility for you:
- All lower-division required courses will have an online section and a face-to-face section
- Upper division required courses will have remote and face-to-face options
- All courses and all sections will be poised to move to remote instruction before or during the semester
Stay tuned to all updates from Main Hall on this webpage.
Be in touch with any questions or concerns.
Director & Professor