NJ Advance Media: Enterprise/Investigative Reporter
NJ Advance Media, which produces content for NJ.com, The Star-Ledger and other affiliated papers, seeks an experienced, inquisitive journalist with strong digital and data skills to complement exceptional reporting and writing chops. The reporter will produce compelling, in-depth reporting on important issues that affect the lives of New Jersey residents. The emphasis will be on journalism generated with urgency and frequency that adds to public understanding and accountability, with a digital orientation and a high level of engagement with readers.
- Produces original, fact-based reporting in the public interest, relevant to New Jersey. The majority of this work will be exclusive or take our readers deeper into the issues that affect their lives.
- Presents enterprise reporting in a way that is relevant to a digital audience, particularly a mobile audience.
- Takes a digital approach to telling the story by combining incisive writing with multi-media elements, including photos, videos, audio, interactive charts and maps, and links to original source material.
- Owns the issues we decide to take on by keeping readers updated in real-time on developments that occur around those issues.
- Moves with speed and urgency to deliver stories and other content formats that probe issues tied to current news.
- Engages fully with users in ways that include crowd-sourcing information, joining the conversation around stories both on the site and in social media, organizing and participating in live chats, and showing people how they can get involved.
- Collaborates with other media organizations in New Jersey, New York and Philadelphia dedicated to enterprise reporting in a way that leverages our reporting firepower with theirs for maximum impact.
- Mentors and encourages younger, less experienced staffers and partners with editors and other senior reports to facilitate the development and delivery on enterprise on all beats across all departments.
- Other duties as defined.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Deep working knowledge – or ability to quickly develop same – of New Jersey’s politics, government, geography, characters and history
- Demonstrated track record of producing enterprise reporting that has impact, including computer-assisted reporting
- Experience writing for the web; unafraid to write with voice and attitude when appropriate
- Proficient in digital story-telling tools, such as photo galleries and methods of presenting source documents in stories
- Experience with web-based content management applications
- Able to work with a high degree of independence and draw from one’s own skill set to deliver high-value digital content.
- Early adopter of new technologies, new processes and best practices for creating and maintaining digital content
- Familiar with web analytics, and values the use of audience data to sharpen the relevance of issue-oriented reporting
- Comfortable working in a collaborative, team-oriented environment
Minimum Job Requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree from a four-year college or university
- Educational background in journalism, communications or a related field highly preferred
- A minimum of five years experience in reporting, with at least two years working in a digital news environment
- Professional experience writing, producing and packaging digital content in a fast-paced, competitive situation
- Demonstrated ability with producing and editing multimedia
- Ability to work a flexible schedule, as needed